Monday, October 02, 2006
Maraschino Cherry Incident
Don’t let anyone tell you that writing can’t be dangerous. While buying groceries, I decided to pick up some items to experiment on a new cookie recipe. I wanted to get started cooking some of the recipe ideas from the research I’d done earlier. I kept the items for the cookies separate to keep track of the money spent. Well, great idea, but I learned this can be hazardous to your health. I had picked up a jar of maraschino cherries and placed it with the growing stack in the part of the cart the toddler rides in. I failed to lift the plastic guard to cover the opening for the child’s legs. As the stack grew, something fell over and pushed the jar of cherries out. If you’ve never seen it, a jar of cherries explodes into a huge mess. First I had to make sure no children got into it while trying to find someone in the store to tell, “Yes, I’m the reason you have cherries, goo, and glass all over the aisle.” The girl was very kind. She was starting trying to put the glass in a pile while waiting for someone to bring more supplies. Pieces of the glass flew a good twenty feet. I helped her put glass and cherries into a bag, leaving her to mop up the mess. I left the store much poorer, sticky, with glass on my shoes, and shards stuck on my slacks, and still with great plans for making cookies.
If you’re wondering what the cherries were for, I’m trying to come up with a dark chocolate covered cherry cookie, or possibly a dark chocolate/white chocolate mix. We’ll see what works best. Luckily I can taste one, and then send the rest off to work with my daughter where I’ll have at least a dozen testers.