Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Website at

I finally have a new website up. While trying to set up my domain name, I discovered my name, Livia J. Washburn, was taken. I could have used .net or .biz, but I wanted .com, so I dropped the J. It took me weeks to hunt and peck my way through FrontPage to come up with a website. I even gave up at one point after I did all the work creating the pages in FrontPage and couldn’t get it to publish. I went out and bought a simple web builder program at Half Price Books, created a new website, and then couldn’t get that to load either. One of the problems I had with the first program, FrontPage, was the fact I’d lost the manual since the last time I’d used it. I looked everywhere I could think of, but in a house full of books, it was a losing game. It wasn’t until I was trying to get my youngest daughter to please, please help me, that she pointed out my older daughter had borrowed the book. Hey, at least she still had it and apologized when she returned it.

After that it was back to the first program to figure out exactly where I’d gone wrong, and what I could do to solve the problem. I would experiment and try publishing the pages, then try something different, then something else, and so on. It was really a shock when it finally worked. Of course there were a few things I wanted to change, so when I made the revisions, it didn’t work again. I’m amazed I have any hair left. So I went back to trying one thing after another until finally I have a new website. And when it’s time to make revisions . . . I won’t remember a bit of what I did this time.

Some of the problem might have been the pain killers I’ve been on for a bad toothache. I did finally get the site working properly after the root canal.

No comments:

Post a Comment